Historic Red Hook (HRH) is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization formed in 2013 through the consolidation of The Friends of Elmendorph and the Egbert Benson Historical Society of Red Hook. Historic Red Hook has office hours at the Inn on Tuesdays 10 am to 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm to 4 pm. The telephone number is 845-758-1920 and the e-mail address is [email protected].
Preservation and Restoration of the Elmendorph Inn: In the Spring of 1975 the Friends of Elmendorph, Inc. organized to rescue the historic Elmendorph Inn from demolition. Although its potential significance had been noted by a survey team from the Cornell University School of Architecture, mid-twentieth century alterations had obscured the building's past to the untrained eye. The Inn was finally purchased by the Friends of Elmendorph in 1977.
Since 1975 the Friends raised over $400,000 for the restoration of the Inn and the building of the Carriage Barn. The monies were raised with the aid of State and Federal grants, community donations and fund raising activities such as auctions, bake sales and the Elmendorph Shop.
Maintenance of the buildings is a constant undertaking for which we continue to raise funds. Our community's support continues to be needed and welcomed!